About Me

My photo
East Lansing, MI, United States
I just graduated from Michigan State University with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I moved to Chicago and I am student teaching in Hyde Park

Monday, April 19, 2010

Email


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License.
I have a new found appreciation for emails, yet the same frustrations. I have recently noticed that my MSU email has not been 100% reliable. Good thing I have my msu account linked to my gmail account because that was the only way I figured out the problem. I don't know how long this has been going on (it still is not fixed) but thank goodness for gmail or else I would not be able to receive or send emails.

I rely fully on emailing. It is how I communicate with my sorority (mass groups), how I turn in homework and projects, and how I send pictures to my dad who is helping me out with my graduation announcements. I NEED emails in order for my day to run smoothly.

I have also noticed recently how helpful emailing is in the classroom. My CT just mentioned today how she sent out a mass email to the parents asking their input on an impromptu field trip she wants to do in 2 weeks. When I was in elementary school if my teacher wanted to get a hold of my mom or dad she had to send home a note or letter or call my house. Now, teachers can send out mass emails and know it is going directly to the parents. Parents can then respond directly back to the teacher. It saves paper and doesn't have to go through the child (who cannot always get the message to the parent..)

However, when email services are down what do we do then? We are lost without emails. They make everything easier. When they work, that is!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, MSU e-mail is the worst. I love the idea that we can send important slips (like field trip slips) as attachment. In my school, they are limited amount of copies that teachers can make. So sending home the weekly/monthly note in the email. So I can see how using e-mail is so much easier than using the phone. I think that it helps keep parents involved as well. However, I agree that we can not only use email to communicate because it does go down and email goes out. The phone and written notes home still need to be used to help with management.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think emailing is great and tons of people use it but what about the parents and students who really do not use email? I think it is still important to send home the traditional newsletter and other forms of paper.

    The start of college is when I relied on my email. That is all MSU does is email! And then once I got my blackberry, I now receive and check my emails on my phone. But other than school I really do not use my email a whole lot.

    Emailing is a great resources to use in the classroom, however you just have to make sure all parents use emailing, have an email account set up, and know how to use it. My mom has recently started using her email and my dad, well lets just say he knows nothing about technology.

    But who knows what the next generation parents are going to be like now that technology has exploded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison!

    I just recently linked my MSU email to my gmail and I have loved it. It is also working much better with the mail I use with my mac. I would constantly have problems emailing through mail when I would use my MSU account but I haven't had any problems.

    It's also interesting that you brought up email in the classroom. I though this would be crucial to communicate with parents as well but my CT doesn't even have a computer at home and rarely uses email. It is so frustrating trying to get a hold of her because I never know if she even gets my mail.

    It is so funny how we have become so dependent on this form of communication that when someone does not utilize it, it seems shocking. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete