About Me

My photo
East Lansing, MI, United States
I just graduated from Michigan State University with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I moved to Chicago and I am student teaching in Hyde Park

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kids Today


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License.

I babysit for a family with 3 kids. The oldest just turned 9 years old. She is set on getting an iPhone when she is 10 and her own computer when she is 12. Although her parents have said no, she is determined that this is the case. When did children become so focused on technology? When did technology become something for kids? I believe that although technology is useful and can be used by children, it is mainly for adults.

Kids do not need computers, cell phones, or iPods. We all grew up without them and we turned out okay! I didn't have a computer in my house until I was about 12 or 13 years old and I certainly didn't have one of my own until I came to college. Even if I was allowed to use the computer it was only for about a half hour a day and I was closely monitored. I think I only played computer games anyways.

Children seem to have this pre-set notion that when you get to be a certain age, they get certain things. When you're 16 you get a car, when you're 13 you get a cell phone, etc... Is it the parents who are putting these ideas in kids heads or is it the media? I personally think it is both but the media has a bigger part in the issue. TV shows show kids having cell phones and laptop computers all to themselves. What about the dangerous doors that technology opens up? Does the media portray those? Of course not.

I understand that cell phones are there for safety. I got a cell phone when I started high school. However, I was only allowed to use it or take it with me when I went out with friends. It was not meant to be used for fun, it was to be used when I needed to be picked up somewhere or if I was in some kind of trouble where I would need it to place an emergency call. Nowadays, every phone has internet access and messaging applications. Anyone can access the internet or talk to just about anyone. Just the other day I saw a 5th grader coming out of school and immediately pulling out..get this.. a BLACKBERRY!! What 10 year old needs a blackberry?! I just kept thinking.. what kind of trouble could she get into with that? There is barely any way to monitor what she does with it. Is she getting onto Facebook or Myspace whenever she wants? Is she Googling things she shouldn't be Googling?

The internet is a wonderful thing and technology is so important. I just hate seeing it used improperly or in the hands of the wrong person. Kids don't understand it yet and until they do, it should not be so easily accessible.

2 comments:

  1. This is something that i have thought a lot myself about. Kids now adays seem to be getting into drinking, drugs and other things at such a young age. I think a big part of this is the internet and cell phones which allow them to have easy access. The other day my boyfriend and I were at a movie and group of 10 year old girls walked in all using I-Phones. While I felt some jealously towards this, I also felt like what does this teach the children? Does this show them that material items are that important? Does it take away from physical activity? Does it take away from traditional learning? So many unknown questions, that I think your concern is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a true post! I nanny for two girls in the summer age 14 and 12. They both received ipod touches for christmas last year and now they both have cell phones. As a parent I can understand that you want to keep track of your children with a cell phone but the parents of these girls say that they never answer these calls.

    When then is a parent responsible for technology use. Apparently all of these girls' friends have cell phones and ipods and just as you said they are now onto computers. The oldest of the two girls said that she was expecting a computer when she entered high school because she NEEDED it. This is pretty far fetched considering they have two family computers.

    Things are different than when we were kids but when is enough, enough?

    ReplyDelete