About Me

My photo
East Lansing, MI, United States
I just graduated from Michigan State University with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I moved to Chicago and I am student teaching in Hyde Park

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Twitter


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License.

I have had a twitter account for a few weeks now and although I do not use it as often as I like or should, I do see it's strengths and weaknesses when it comes to teaching.

Twitter can be very useful for teachers. I can see myself using Twitter to gain knowledge from fellow teachers and education professionals. Lesson plan ideas, school news, and interesting facts and opinions can be shared through twitter. Some of my family members who are teachers have been using Facebook as a way to communicate with each other about their excitement as they await new Smart Boards in their classroom. They share ideas, tips, and issues they come across and help each other with this new technology. Although Facebook is a quick and easy way to get in touch with family and friends, Twitter can be used just as easily.

Although Twitter can be utilized by teachers, I do not see how Twitter can benefit students (other than indirectly through teachers). How do you incorporate Twitter into a lesson? The only thing I can think of is using it for homework help once the students are at home and away from their classmates. Twitter could be used to post homework questions or interesting finds and ideas. However, then you come across problems such as not every student has a computer at home. Also, age comes into the picture. How old does one need to be to create a Twitter account? Do you utilize Twitter in a 2nd grade classroom? I am one to think that isn't the best idea. I believe the internet to be a great, yet scary place for children. I don't think students should have internet access unless they are being supervised. I also think Twitter is confusing even for myself! I cannot see elementary aged students understanding how to use Twitter very easily.

So, although Twitter is a great tool for teachers to connect and bounce ideas off of each other, it is another issue when connecting students to Twitter. I think there are better technological tools to use such as controlled blog/discussion areas where students are monitored and no one can see/use the blogging area without a teacher's acceptance. Twitter can be an excellent tool but perhaps only for adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment