About Me

My photo
East Lansing, MI, United States
I just graduated from Michigan State University with a bachelor degree in Elementary Education. I moved to Chicago and I am student teaching in Hyde Park

Saturday, February 27, 2010

What Did We Do Before Technology?

The past few days I have asked myself this one question, "What did I do before... cell phones, computers, email, etc...?" I left home the other day without my cell phone. We all know how that feels! I felt so naked and disconnected. However, I survived. Except it made me wonder how I functioned before I owned a cell phone. Cell phones are ultimately for emergencies. What if the one time I needed it for an emergency was the one time I left home without it! What would I have done? Pay phones are completely non-existent anymore so that option is out. Email is another tool I do not know what I would do without. Email makes it easy to get in contact with someone fast and completely one sided. I like it because I can get all my thoughts out at once. You can also proofread and edit before you send it! So what did we do before email? Phone calls. It is a shame that fewer and fewer phone calls are being made nowadays. We can thanks text messaging and email for that! Text messaging is another bit of technology I don't know what I would do without. I would probably have to wait until after meetings/classes and other events where talking is not allowed to get in contact with someone. So think about that next time you pull out your cell phone to text or the next time you check your email. Ask yourself, what did I do before? It will make you think about how big of a role technology plays in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I often finding myself wondering the same thing. How did I ever live without my cell phone and computer. Today, we have it so easy to keep in touch with people. I know that I am friends with so many people I went to elementary School with and know a lot of about their life to this day because of facebook. Back in the day, they had to use snail mail to send messages to loved ones, which could take months to get there. Now, if I miss my mom or I am bored I pick up my phone and call her. I also, do not know anyone's phone numbers by heart either. Everything is made so easy for us!

    Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete